Re: xntp, ntpdate, setting the local clock

On Sun, Dec 07, 1997 at 08:37:33PM +0000, David Stern wrote:
> I'm using xntpd (for no good reason), have setup my ntp servers in
> /etc/ntp.conf, have ran ntpq to find that xntpd is working great.
> However, the local clock isn't being set, according to reftime in ntpq

> I see a note: "ntpdate will decline to set the date if an NTP server
> daemon (e.g., xntpd) is running on the same host."
> (/usr/doc/xntp3/html/ntpdate.html) That could be a problem..  :-)
> Should I be using ntpd (vs. xntpd), or .. ??

Well, do you need to run the daemon, which presumably allows others
to set their clock from your host, or do you just want to set the
date yourself, in which case I guess you don't need the daemon?

I just use netdate (client), it works great. If you want to sync
the clock at regular intervals (could be why you think you need
the daemon?) use a cron script.

hamish