Re: YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: No bound server for domain Watkins

Ian & Gill Watkins wrote:

> I have started receiving this message since installing the remainder / most of the Debian system.
>
> The domain on my home net is called watkins (original huh?).
>
> I have had a look out on the net and it appears to be something to do with TCP/IP / DHCP but I could do with some fairly detailed info as to what to do as I am a linux newbie.

As others have indicated, you are getting this message becuase you
installed NIS. NIS is a distributed system database developed by sun.
(NOTE, don't confuse this with a relation database system like
Informix, Oracle, Sybase, etc.) This system allows the system
administrator for to make network-wide /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow,
/etc/hosts, /etc/ethers, /etc/aliases, etc. "databases" available from
a centrally-administered location. This is useful when you're trying
to administer a number of Unix machines. The upshot of this is that
if you're not running a bunch of Unix machines, you don't need it.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com