we need to start setting up for a new computer

I have slackeware more or less running on 386sx8

and want to install debian 1.3.1 (bo) on a new 6x86 p200+ based system
that will be a server.

I have the 2 CD distribution from lsl.com and the contents of the
stable/non-free directory from an ftp mirror on a ez135 disk, (yes the
new system also has a ez135 drive).

with slackware I needed to create 2 floppys (boot and root)
to have a 'starter system' with which to run the install scripts.

I'm guessing something similar is done with Debian.

(1)
since I dont have access to a dos system, can I use DD to
create the boot/root diskettes (or whatever Debian calls
the 'starter system' diskettes)?

(2)
is there a doc/faq/other text file someplace that has basic steps
to create enough of a system to start to use the tools actually
install a runable system. I want to have a non-module kernel, (unless
I'm forced by plug-and-pray to module some driver for hardware). I'm
unsure how/what one does with plug-and-pray devices and PnP BIOS to
associate IRQ's with cards/slots so that it is aware of jumpered
selections of ISA controller/interface cards and doesn't select a
conflict.

we'd prefer not to give the new machine psychiatric difficulties ;).
thats why we are not going to run slackware on it.

(3)
from what I've seen so far I'm guessing the floppy system
installs a base system, then that is used to dselect the rest
of the packages to make a runing system, is that correct?

(4)
we currently use PPPD run from inittab to keep our 'dedicated'
PPP link active. if it dies, init respawns it. there seem to
lots of PPP rlated packages, but we are unsure if they are
meant for dial-on-demand setup vs a always connected setup.
since Debian uses a different init and it wants things in
different places than slackwares init does, can I still
use init to run pppd (with all its options in /etc/ppp/...
or some other location that Debian's PPPD is aware of)?

thanks in advance

				Fuzzy
				Sys Admin, ASARian.org