Re: allow mount to normal user

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, David Wright wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Paul Serice wrote:
>
> > Adam Klein wrote:
> >
> > "man mount" and search for the following language:
> >
> >               Note  that  the  auto  type may be useful for user-
> >               mounted floppies.
> >

> > Make sure you're putting "auto" in the right place.  For example,
> >
> > /dev/scd0  /cdrom      iso9660  ro,suid,dev,exec,noauto,user,async 0 1
> > /dev/fd0   /floppy     auto     rw,suid,dev,exec,noauto,user,sync  0 0
> >                        ^^^^                      ^^^^^^
> >
> > This definitely works for me as far as auto detecting ext2 or vfat
> > floppies via the KDE floppy mount icon (or the rustic command line).
> >
> > Something else I've learned is that if you plan on using auto, I
> > would recompile your kernel to exclude "msdos" support but include
> > "vfat" support.  The reason is that "auto" will check first for msdos
> > 8.3 format.  Because vfat floppies meet the criteria, they will be
> > mounted as 8.3.  If you compile out msdos support, you'll be able to
> > mount the floppies as vfat.
>
> Shouldn't a bug report be filed against mount? It only makes sense for mount
> auto to check in the order Specific -> Generic, not the other way round.

The last time I read the man page, this is what you would expect.
Mount looks for the FIRST match. Actually mount does not seem to see
any difference between the two. It is not a bug, it is just the way
it is.

Look at the -t option under man mount(8).

*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*   that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *
* W. Paul Mills          *     Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A.               *
* wpmills@midusa.net     *     http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/ *
* wpmills@sound.net      *     http://www.sound.net/~wpmills/       *
* Bill, I was there several years ago, why would I want to go back? *