Re: Debian Installation Problem, PLEASE HELP!!!

On Wed, 03 Dec 1997 12:01:50 +0200, Liran Zvibel wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, David Stern wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 03 Dec 1997 08:47:02 +0200, Liran Zvibel wrote:
> > > 2) Although everything on the (optional) X11 section is installed
> > > (checked twice.), the
> > > file /usr/X11R6/bin/SuperProbe doesn't exists ("Installation and Getting
> > > started" said it should be there), and maybe some other files I don't kno
> > > I need (BTW: no startx too).
> >
> > Sounds like you don't have X installed.  Did you install the XFree86
> > package for your video card?
>
> I think X is installed since all the packages in the X11 section of
> dselect are installed. My video card is Trident 8900 (yes, some people
> still use it...) I didn't find it in any of the special servers so I
> installed the _SVGA one. Isn't that enough? IN the configure section it
> asked me whether I want _SVGA to be my server and I said I did, So I think
> X is installed (I'm not sure though...)

Did you try running through configuration manually? ( xf86config or
XF86Setup )If you installed the svga xserver, you should have
superprobe.

Were there any relevant outstanding dependency problems, or packages
which weren't installed or configured correctly?  This would show up in
dselect.

When I first installed linux, my video card was unsupported in svga, so
I used the vga16 xserver.  For testing purposes, it might be useful to
see if that works.

If you don't like that idea, you might try uninstalling and
reinstalling your svga xserver, going through configuration with
xf86config or XF86Setup, looking at your /etc/X11/XF86Config file,
assuming the man page shows up so you can see what it's supposed to
look like.

The man page for XF86Setup says something about a "Quick-Start Guide to
XFree86 Setup", but I don't see that anywhere.  Maybe someone else
knows where that is?

David