Problem with keyboard

Witold Grabysz writes:
 > Dear Friends,
 > it happened to me to use Polish as my native language. In general we use
 >
 > Latin alphabet plus some unique
 > letters (the same do the German and French). It seemed to me during
 > configuration I set my keyboard to
 > support Polish signs:
 >
 >     Xkbkeycodes "xfree86"
 >     XkbTypes    "default"
 >     XkbCompat   "default"
 >     XkbSymbols  "en_US(pc101)+pl"
 >
 > however it doesn't work. For example appart from 'a' we have a letter
 > called (even in English documentation)
 > 'a ogonek' (a with a small tail). It should be evoked by pressing 'a'
 > together with right Alt. I ran xkeycaps and
 > saw, that a+right Alt is bound to 'a ogonek', but when I press it (in
 > terminal window or now in Netscape mail
 > editor) there is no reaction. Just nothing!

 Well, there is a keysym named "dead_ogonek", basically it is the
escape key to get to "a ogonek".  By pressing dead_ogonek + a.

 However, I just got 'a' by pressing that key pair.  Are you sure the
ogonek belongs to Latin1?  And what characters are you looking for?

  áéíóúý  -  dead_acute
  àèìòù   -  dead_grave
  âêîôû   -  dead_tilde
  äëïöüÿ  -  dead_diaeresis
  å       -  dead_abovering

 If it's any of the above, you can get them through the dead key that
is listed beside the table.  Just put one of the keys on your keyboard
to it, like:

  xmodmap -e "keycode 76 = dead_acute"

 Will give you the result F10 + a = á (keycode 76 is F10 on my
keyboard, just be careful of not removing any of your standard keys
:-).

 There is also another method, to get to these characters.  Through
the so-called compose key.  On my keyboard this key is the 'Windows'
key on the right side of the keyboard, through it COMPOSE d - = ð,
as an example.

Hope that helps,