Problem with keyboard

Dear Friends,
it happened to me to use Polish as my native language. In general we use

Latin alphabet plus some unique
letters (the same do the German and French). It seemed to me during
configuration I set my keyboard to
support Polish signs:

    Xkbkeycodes "xfree86"
    XkbTypes    "default"
    XkbCompat   "default"
    XkbSymbols  "en_US(pc101)+pl"

however it doesn't work. For example appart from 'a' we have a letter
called (even in English documentation)
'a ogonek' (a with a small tail). It should be evoked by pressing 'a'
together with right Alt. I ran xkeycaps and
saw, that a+right Alt is bound to 'a ogonek', but when I press it (in
terminal window or now in Netscape mail
editor) there is no reaction. Just nothing!

Please give me at least some idea where to look for a culprit.

Witold Grabysz