Re: video problems

Hi,

Carey> Jesse Goldman <jgoldman@hecate.fnal.gov> writes:
>> I'm having trouble with xdm. Every couple times the user exits the
>> window manager, the machine hangs with a black screen and red and
>> blue vertical lines. The only thing to do at this point is a hard
>> reboot. This has happened with a range of kernels (now it's using
>> 2.0.32) so it seems to me that either the video card (an S3 Virge)
>> or the driver is at fault.

Carey> Which X server are you using?  I had a few problems with
Carey> lockups with the 3.2 S3V server, but now I'm using the 3.3 SVGA
Carey> server without any problems.

Carey> Whart brand of video card is it?  Sometimes the accompanying
Carey> chips make a difference, as well as the main video chip.

	I have the same problem; I am using the SVGA server (latest
 hamm 3.3.1-2), with the 4MB Matrox Millenium. I have had this problem
 ever since I switched to XF86 severs; which is when they started
 supporting the Millenium.

	I've tried Linux 2.0.29-32; 2.1.15-65 with no difference. But
 for me it happens randomly; in the sense that sometimes I can
 succesfully switch to a VT, though not at other times.

	I have grown to accept this ...

	manoj
--
 It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu
 speech. Mark Twain