Re: video problems

Jesse Goldman <jgoldman@hecate.fnal.gov> writes:

> I'm having trouble with xdm. Every couple times the user exits the window
> manager, the machine hangs with a black screen and red and blue vertical
> lines. The only thing to do at this point is a hard reboot. This has
> happened with a range of kernels (now it's using 2.0.32) so it seems to me
> that either the video card (an S3 Virge) or the driver is at fault.

Which X server are you using?  I had a few problems with lockups with
the 3.2 S3V server, but now I'm using the 3.3 SVGA server without any
problems.

Whart brand of video card is it?  Sometimes the accompanying chips
make a difference, as well as the main video chip.

--
    Carey Evans  <*>  http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/  gc

     "Trust Ivanova.  Trust yourself.  Anybody else - shoot 'em."