video problems

Hi,

I'm having trouble with xdm. Every couple times the user exits the window
manager, the machine hangs with a black screen and red and blue vertical
lines. The only thing to do at this point is a hard reboot. This has
happened with a range of kernels (now it's using 2.0.32) so it seems to me
that either the video card (an S3 Virge) or the driver is at fault. Does
anyone know what the problem might be? Again, this doesn't happen every
time. I'd say once in ever 5 or 6 tries. Thanks,

J. Goldman