Re: yet another ppp problem

--- You wrote:
f you wish to use your ppp interface for most packets and your ethernet
card for only a few, put something like the following in /etc/ppp/ip-up:

/sbin/route del default
/sbin/route add default ppp0
/sbin/route add 137.22.96.0 netmask 255.255.240 eth0

(The number after netmask should be the netmask of the subnet you want to
use your ethernet card on - this netmask is a peculiar one actually in use
at my undergrad. school)

If, while ppp is up, you don't want to use your ethernet card at all, then
don't put the last 'route add' line in.

If you do this, (meaning anything including the 'route del default' line
above) you should probably also put the following lines in
/etc/ppp/ip-down:

/sbin/route del default
/sbin/route add default gw 137.22.96.254 eth0

(where for 137.22.96.254 you should put your ethernet gateway)

If in fact your ethernet card isn't connected at all, then leave out the
'add default' bit.  Actually, if your card isn't connected at all, you
could just make certain that 'route del default' was run before pon (say,
run it a system startup) and then the 'defaultroute' option in
/etc/ppp.options_out will do the trick (i.e. no messing with /etc/ppp/ip-*
necessary)

--- end of quote ---

Martin,
    Hey, thanks.  That totally worked!  I am just dialing in from home, so I am
not using the ethernet card at all right now.  However, it did come in handy
initially.  I had my computer shipped to me at the Math Department at Dartmouth
(I am a graduate student there), and so I just plugged it into the ethernet
port, and downloaded everything I need from a friend's machine.  What was even
more awesome was that a friend of mine right down the hall happened to be
running a Debian mirror!!  Downloading packages at 1MB/sec is pretty nice!!
Beats the crap out of this modem stuff... oh well.

Thanks again for your help.  I did notice one small problem.  When I tried to
telnet, I could reach one network at school, but not any others.  I could reach
just about anywhere in the country except the servers at school that I am not
dialing into.  It says "route unknown" or something like that when I try it.

Larry Gariepy
gariepy@dartmouth.edu