Re: yet another ppp problem

On 27 Nov 1997, Larry G. Gariepy Jr. wrote:

> Martin,
>     Hey, thanks.  That totally worked!  I am just dialing in from home, so I am
> not using the ethernet card at all right now.  However, it did come in handy
> initially.  I had my computer shipped to me at the Math Department at Dartmouth
> (I am a graduate student there), and so I just plugged it into the ethernet
> port, and downloaded everything I need from a friend's machine.  What was even
> more awesome was that a friend of mine right down the hall happened to be
> running a Debian mirror!!  Downloading packages at 1MB/sec is pretty nice!!
> Beats the crap out of this modem stuff... oh well.
>
> Thanks again for your help.  I did notice one small problem.  When I tried to
> telnet, I could reach one network at school, but not any others.  I could reach
> just about anywhere in the country except the servers at school that I am not
> dialing into.  It says "route unknown" or something like that when I try it.

A fellow math. grad. student!  This problem sounds suspiciously like it
could still be left over routes from your ethernet card - what does
'/sbin/route' (no arguments) say?  If it still has any routes listed as
going through device eth0, delete them (with 'route del <target>') and try
your telneting again.  (Though why it says 'route unknown' with this
problem puzzles me, but...)  If you're only connected via ppp, the only
devices you should see for the routes are 'ppp0' and 'lo'.

Does anyone out on the list know which startup file it is that sets the
initial network routes?  (Since I've never had anything but ppp, I never
found out)  You might consider seeing if routes are being set up for your
ethernet card at boottime, and disabling them, at least until such time as
you are in an environment where you can use your card again.