Problems with the Xfig Package

I have experienced the following proble with the Xfig: when you select the
T icon (for text writing), xfig hangs and also the xterm shell blocks
forever! I need to kill xfig and the shell!!

I have the Xfig 3.2 patchlevel 0 (Protocol 3.2); i have tried to use the
previous version Xfig 3.1 patchlevel 4 (Protocol 3.1) but it has the same
problem. I have used both onto a RedHat installation on a PC and Alpha at
the lab and it works fine. I have Debian installed here at my office, but
Xfig doesn't work here!
I have read about similar problem in a previous message. Is anyone that
know if it is possible to fix the problem ?

Thanks in advance!!

Gerardo Lamastra