Re: How can I use PPP connection?

Adalberto da Silva wrote:

> Hello,
>
>         I'm quite confused with PPP connection.
>
>         I'm using xisp to dial and set my internet connection under Linux. The
> internet provider from my university uses dinamic IP assignment and I
> can easily get a 'socket' for my W95 applications: I run a script that
> dials, I put my username and password on login screen, key 'ppp' and
> enter, get a stream of words&codes on screen (saying 'Async interfaces
> etc ...') and push F7 to finnally get a socket to plug my Netscape, ftp
> and whatelse.
>
>         I installed xisp and fed it with server address, my username and
> password, wrote some lines for scripting:
>                 ername:--ername: %s
>                 ssword: %s
>                 >-->
>                 sync:--sync /0;65       (I wait for the message                                         'Async... and send the
> codes
>                                         to play for F7 key my server
>                                         asks for)
>
>         Well, it seems to work as long as I got a fancy xisp window with  the
> correct number of my server on ISP box, a dynamic IP adress box filled
> down, a status box with a message CONN (I wish this means connected...),
> a correct speed number and a 'walking' clock with my connection time.
>
>         I took my HowTo's and read PPP-HowTo but I did not know what is
> missing.
>
>         How can I fire some internet applications to take any advantage of the
> connection? What is the next step to plug Netscape, ftp apps, telnet and
> things alike in this 'socket'?
>
>         Help me! Must I stack on W95 to make a simple (a bit cumbersome, I
> know, but a working one) internet connection?
>
>         Thanks in advance,
>

>         Adalberto da Silva
>         Instituto Astronomico e Geofisico
>         Universidade de Sao Paulo - Brasil
>         adalbert@iag.usp.br
>
> --

If your provider uses Dynamic IP assignment, see if you can use the dhcpd program that is available for Debian in addition to your
script. (This program obtains an IP and  other configuration values from your ISP automagically,and adjust your network files
accordingly).  Which brings me to point two.. have you set up your network configuration files under Linux yet?