Re: Compaq Mouse vs PPP vs hostname

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Hogland, Thomas E. wrote:

> Also, the system refuses to take a hostname. I've reinstalled it several
> times (I'm using it as a training tool) and it seems to alternate
> between "UNKNOWN_13" and "(none)". Typing "hostname DLinux" to set the
> name (or just "hostname") gives "hostname: command not found". PPP seems
> to be quite flaky on this system - would this affect the connection
> stability?

>From user
$ hostname Dlinux
hostname: you must be root to change the host name

The program should be /bin/hostname
As far as it is alternating, you might want to check your /etc/ppp/ip-up
file (and /etc/ppp/ip-down).  My (non-stock) setup changes my
hostname to match with what my ISP says has designame for my dynamic IP.
Also, if you reboot your machine the hostname is retrieved from
/etc/hostname.

This can have some effect on your machine for some situations.  For
instance, ytalk does not work right if the hostname does not match
that given by
/usr/bin/host THE_IP_NUMBER.

Mark W. Blunier
blunier@concentric.net