Re: JAVA + AWT = ARGH!

Mike Patterson <mike@col.hp.com> writes:

> Is there anyone who has sucessfully gotten any version of java, javac, and
> AWT libraries to work together? If so, could they give me a basic rundown
> on how they did it?

Use Sun's JDK.  I made a package of it - it is in unstable, non-free.

If you want to use kaffe, don't use the Debian package - it is out of
date.  Instead, download a copy from www.kaffe.org and install it in
/usr/local.

And don't use the latest versions (0.9.0 - 0.9.1) if you need graphics,
because they do not support Peter Mehlitz's Biss-AWT.  He is going to
release a new version in the next few weeks that might work.

Your best bet is to use kaffe 0.8.4, with the biss-awt package.  I had it
sort of working here once.  It's very tricky to get it running.  You still
needs Sun's class libraries.

And don't expect 100% compatibility with Sun's JDK - expect more like 50%.

I do want to update the kaffe package somewhat - but I'm waiting for the
"kore" package to become available - which will reduce the dependence on
Sun's non-free class library.  Compatibility will still suck though.

Cheers,

 - Jim