diald vs ipmasquerade

Do diald and ipmasquerading serve the same purpose ?
Or do I have to use both ? I have a 3 node ethernet lan.
The all had windows on them. Now I installed Linux 2.0.29 (debian 1.3)
on the unit that has the modem on it. And would like the other units
to access the internet via the modem on LINUX unit.
So I have diald running on the linux. The windows node have the
linux unit as their gateway. But if I ping an IP diald doesn't dial.

What next ?

Thanks.