Re: Database advice?

On Sat, Nov 22, 1997 at 12:21:39PM -0500, Shaleh wrote:
> At work on our BSDI boxes we use mysql.  Seems rock solid and I believe
> has a GPL type license.

It's GPL + pay money if you produce a product based on mysql.
Unfortunately, this makes it non-free as far as Debian is concerned.
For most people it's absolutely free; but if you develop a product
which is based around mysql, perhaps an inventory database you
want to onsell, then you need to buy it. If your program just
happens to support mySQL, eg Apache has mySQL logging support,
then you don't need to buy a license.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.