RE: Debian <-> NT interaction

Sure it is possible. Assuming that your configuration is NT-Workstations in one
or more workgroups, the linux box can exists just fine. You are going to need
some software that I do not think has made it to Debian yet.  Look around on
sunsite.unc.edu for ksmbfs and rumba.  Rumba is the opposite of samba, it lets
a linux machine use SMB resources as if they were native linux.