Re: Where is the Local Guide to Latex?

tibor simko writes:

> `local.tex' means in fact `/usr/lib/texmf/doc/tetex/TETEXDOC.tex' or
> `/usr/doc/tetex-base/tetex/teTeX-FAQ' under debian.  traditionally,
> local guide contains information relative to the implementation of TeX
> on the system in use.

> IMO it's not really intended to new users, but rather to
> administrators (for example, it answers how to add to the filesystem,
> and where, the brand new XYZ style or font).  you can go on learning
> and using LaTeX without it...

No, the local guide should contain the information that Joe User needs
to run latex on that partcular site and which he can't find elsewhere.
It should answer such questions as "how do I add my own directories to
the search path of tex," "how do I print a file," and "where do I find
the on-line documentation?"  It should be written by the system admin
of a site, and be tailored to that site.

On debian systems, TETEXDOC.tex supplies most of the information, so
you could make a very small local guide that refers you that document.

When I had to write a local guide, I "cheated" by writing it as a
plain ascii file, which would be useful for people who hadn't yet
worked out how to use tex.  The file local.tex just includes that file
in some verbatimtext environment.

--
Olaf Weber