Re: Where is the Local Guide to Latex?

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I have finally decided to learn Latex, so I bought Leslie Lamport's book
> and started reading ... but the first suggestion has been difficult to
> deal with. He suggests that there is a Local Guide to Latex that I should
> read to find out how to use the local implimentation, like how to go from
> a .tex document to the printer.

   I've never seen such a file on any system with Latex.  The impression
I've gotten is that the sysadmin (you) has to write it.

   I use three steps to print: latex, dvips, and lpr.  dvips without the
-f will do the lpr for you.  For complex documents with references and
labels you sometimes need to run bibtex, and rerun latex once or twice
(for references in floating captions to page numbers of other floating
figures ...).
   A makefile rule can simplify the process.  Modify as needed.

.SUFFIXES: .ps .tex

.tex.ps:
        latex $*
	bibtex $*
        if egrep Rerun $*.log ; then latex $* ; fi
        if egrep Rerun $*.log ; then latex $* ; fi
        if egrep Rerun $*.log ; then latex $* ; fi
        dvips -f < $< > $@

   The intermediate .dvi file can be made into a separate target as well.
This is useful in the final stages of producing a large document, when
you're recompiling frequently to look at small formatting changes.

--
Dr. Drake Diedrich, Research Officer - Computing, (02)6279-8302
John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University 0200