Re: Where is the Local Guide to Latex?

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I have finally decided to learn Latex, so I bought Leslie Lamport's book
> and started reading ... but the first suggestion has been difficult to
> deal with. He suggests that there is a Local Guide to Latex that I should
> read to find out how to use the local implimentation, like how to go from
> a .tex document to the printer.
>
> I have the tetex-doc package installed, and there is tons of stuff there,
> but I can't find anything that looks like it might be the guide.

Hi Dale,

I recently started using LaTeX too.  Once you are past the initial
learning curve, you will really like it.  You may want to take a look at
"The LaTeX Companion" by Goossens, Mittelbach and Samarin.  I find it
covers a lot of additional ground that Lamport's book only touches on.
I look at these two books as the LaTeX bibles.  ;-)  Another handy place
to look is the LaTeX info files.  They are a good concise reference.

The closest I got to the Local Guide, was the /usr/doc/latex/usrguide.tex
file.

Best regards,
				Nick