core during preinst

Hi,

just tried to install netscape4
on my hamm system:

stas ~ # dpkg -i netscape4_4.0-6.deb
(Reading database ... 15923 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking netscape4 (from netscape4_4.0-6.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing netscape4_4.0-6.deb (--install):
 subprocess pre-installation script killed by signal (Segmentation fault),
core dumped
 netscape4_4.0-6.deb

Core was generated by perl:

stas ~ # gdb /usr/bin/perl core
GNU gdb 970507
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i586-pc-linux"...(no debugging symbols
found)...

warning: core file may not match specified executable file.
Core was generated by `perl /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst install'.
find_solib: Can't read pathname for load map: I/O error

#0  0x4007209d in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)

have latest perl and dpkg

stas ~ $ dpkg -l per*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description
ii  perl            5.004.02-1     Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and
Report
un  perl-base       <none>         (no description available)
un  perl-debug      <none>         (no description available)
ii  perl-suid       5.004.02-1     Runs setuid perl scripts.

any ideas ?

regards

OK