Re: Posting to usenet

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> > > # user's mail address, if not username@host
> > > mail_address=
> >
> > Okay, that works. (OTOH, I'm not enamoured with tin, so it would be nice
> > if I could figure out how to get trn to work.)
> >
> You should set a line like this in trn as well (after we get your system
> working). Your username@your.local.hostname is not a valid emailaddress if
> someone chooses to reply via mail. It is not nice to get bounces because
> of screwed up addresses.

I'm not sure what you mean here... are you just referring to the fact that
I can't receive e-mail as "tbarrie@drollsden.ibm.net", since "drollden"
isn't actually known to ibm's nameserver?

I think it's inews that needs this information rather than trn, since trn
doesn't do posting on its own... according to the man pages, what I need
is a fromhost: line in /etc/news/inn.conf. (OTOH, I don't have such a
file, so I'm wondering if the debian inewsinn package puts the
configuration file somewhere else. Still, I'll try copying the example
inn.conf and see if it works.)

> So fix your /etc/hosts
>
> Try hostname and dnsdomainname again and then trn.

Okay, dnsdomainname now returns "ibm.net", and trn failed to produce any
errors when I did a test post. I forgot to take care of the fromhost
thing, so my test post probably went out as "tbarrie@drollsden.ibm.net",
but that shouldn't be too hard to correct.

Thanks for all your help!