Re: immovable mouse cursor under XFree86 (Debian 1.3)

On Nov 05, Stephen Ryan wrote
> Charles Read wrote:
> >
> > I'v installed Debian 1.3 on an AMD-K6 platform.
> > My Xserver, XF86_S3V, starts out fine and autodetects
> > the chipset used for my Nitro 3D (S3 ViRGE/GX).
> > In the /etc/X11/XF86Setup, I specify in the Pointer
> > section a protocol of "IntelliMouse" and a device
> > of "/dev/ttyS0".  However, the mouse cursor does
> > not respond or move.  I get the same behavior for
> > all four possible setups with protocols "Mouse" and
> > "IntelliMouse" and devices "/dev/ttyS0" and "/dev/ttyS1".
> >
> > What's wrong?
>
> That isn't a Microsoft serial mouse by any chance, is it?
> Revision 2.1A?  (Check the bottom of the mouse to be sure).
> There was a thread recently on this describing the exact same
> symptoms, in which the problem was tracked down to this.  I
> verified this by exchanging mice with the original poster,
> since his office is 3 doors down from mine :-) The only fix
> I have heard of is exchanging the mouse for another one.

I have a 2.1a mouse and it works fine on /dev/ttyS0. It isn't an
intellimouse. Here are the two bits of /etc/gpm.conf and /etc/X11/XF86Config
that might help. Let me know if there is any thing you would like me to try
to see what the problem is. I'm running (pretty much) the latest Debian
unstable (XF86 3.3 not 3.3.1).

/etc/gpm.conf
-------------
device=/dev/ttyS0
responsiveness=
type=bare
append=""

/etc/X11/XF86Config
Protocol    "Microsoft"
Device      "/dev/mouse"

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS