immovable mouse cursor under XFree86 (Debian 1.3)

I'v installed Debian 1.3 on an AMD-K6 platform.
My Xserver, XF86_S3V, starts out fine and autodetects
the chipset used for my Nitro 3D (S3 ViRGE/GX).
In the /etc/X11/XF86Setup, I specify in the Pointer
section a protocol of "IntelliMouse" and a device
of "/dev/ttyS0".  However, the mouse cursor does
not respond or move.  I get the same behavior for
all four possible setups with protocols "Mouse" and
"IntelliMouse" and devices "/dev/ttyS0" and "/dev/ttyS1".

What's wrong?
-c