Re: immovable mouse cursor under XFree86 (Debian 1.3)

Charles Read wrote:

> I'v installed Debian 1.3 on an AMD-K6 platform.
> My Xserver, XF86_S3V, starts out fine and autodetects
> the chipset used for my Nitro 3D (S3 ViRGE/GX).
> In the /etc/X11/XF86Setup, I specify in the Pointer
> section a protocol of "IntelliMouse" and a device
> of "/dev/ttyS0".  However, the mouse cursor does
> not respond or move.  I get the same behavior for
> all four possible setups with protocols "Mouse" and
> "IntelliMouse" and devices "/dev/ttyS0" and "/dev/ttyS1".
>
> What's wrong?

That isn't a Microsoft serial mouse by any chance, is it?
Revision 2.1A?  (Check the bottom of the mouse to be sure).
There was a thread recently on this describing the exact same
symptoms, in which the problem was tracked down to this.  I
verified this by exchanging mice with the original poster,
since his office is 3 doors down from mine :-) The only fix
I have heard of is exchanging the mouse for another one.