Re: smail configuration

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Andrew J Tarr wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
> > "David S. Zelinsky" <zelinsky@us.net> writes:
> > > What's the right way to do this?  Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > Try using `internet site', but setting the smarthost to your isp's
> > mail server and selecting `always route through smarthost' or whatever
> > it is that's similar to that on the list.
> > --
> > Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> <blp@gnu.org> <pfaffben@debian.org>
> > Senders of unsolicited commercial e-mail will receive free 32MB core files!
>
>  I've got similar troubles to David, and when I tried the 'all mail routed
> through smarthost' option, all my system mail gets sent to my isp, where
> it can't be dealt with so it bounces back to me.
>
> It may have something to do with the fact I've put in my isp's domain name
> in as a visible name, but otherwise the return address has my machine's
> name as a domain. Even now, I still have my username on my machine as the
> user part of the return address. Because it lacks the "60" of my username
> at my isp, I can just pretend it's antispam but it's still pretty
> annoying.
>
> Before you ask, this mail gets sent from a different system 8-p.
>
>  Andrew Tarr

Well, what I do is the 'internet site' configuration, with smarthost as
described; I have the visible name of my machine set to my personal name
for the machine.

I've been thinking of adding something to the smtp portion of the smail
transports file to fix the From: address to be nice, (there was a post on
this to the list a little while ago, but it doesn't quite do what I need)
but in the meantime my MTA takes care of it -- that is, I use gnus to do
all my mail from my machine at home, and my .emacs contains:
(setq user-mail-address "martind@my.real.email.address")

What are you using to send mail?  It may be possible with your MTA to set
the From: address (or at the very least add a nice Reply-To: header, which
is what I do from my school account where I use pine to do mail)

DANIEL MARTIN