Re: S3 versus S3V

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:

> On 04 Nov 1997 23:56:23 EST Ben Pfaff (pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu) wrote:
>
> > Jan <agx@mari.net> writes:
> > > Also I read about linking the file /usr/X11R6/bin/X to the server I am
> > > using but that doesn't seem to work. I type ln --sf
> > > /usr/X11R6/bin/Xf86_S3 /usr/X11R6/bin/X
> >
> > You probably want the command
> >
> > 	ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3 /usr/X11R6/bin/X
> >
> > instead.  Note capitalization of `f', number of dashes.
>
> ...but you probably don't want to do that either.
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X is a wrapper for debian which calls the correct X server.
> The correct X server is stored in the first line of /etc/X11/Xserver.
> The wrapper is setuid root and will open the privileged resources and then drop privileges before exec()ing the real X server.
>
> The doc you read is for the standard XFree86 release and should be fixed (you might want to open a bug for that matter).
>
> If you already did the symbolic link (and removed the wrapper), just reinstall xbase.

And after you do that, check carefully the file /etc/X11/Xserver to make
certain that the top line is what it should be, which is really where your
problem probably is.

On a more general note, I find this problem often of Debian being
different from the rest of the world and the documentation not necessarily
reflecting that.  The only solution I've found is to constantly read the
/usr/doc/*/README.debian files each time I install a new package (this
isn't actually that much of a burden, as they're usually pretty short).

Is there somewhere a list of differences (in at least some Debian
pacckages) between the Debian way of doing things and the way documented
in HOWTOs, etc.?