Re: dselect & other install issues.

John Spence <9706744k@lux.levels.unisa.edu.au> writes:
> 04 Nov 1997 11:09:13 -0500,  Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:
>
> >> As expected the program starting flying throught the list of programs
> >> but it never seemed to stop. My screen saver activated twice as I was
> >> waiting for the program to stop. I'm not sure what the default time
> >> the screensaver is set to but it took ages before I decided that the
> >> program was in an infinite loop and pressed Ctrl-C to cancel.
> >
> >I have noticed that this always seems to occur with the CD set
> >provided by one particular manufacturer, I can't remember which at the
> >moment.  I eventually just gave up on their 1.3.1 and used my other CD
> >set, the one for 1.3.0.
>
> My CDs came from Linux Software Labs if that rings any bells. I'm
> inclined to blame myself for the problem at this stage though. I might
> content myself with dpkg for a while and brush up on my typing
> skills.

That is *exactly* the maker of the CDs I had trouble with.  They
looped forever.  This was incredibly embarrassing considering that I
had been evangelizing the infinite superiority of Linux over MicroCrap
to the guy whose machine I was installing.

> (John now looks at the calendar and sees that he has 10 days to study
> for 3 exams and wonders why he is playing with Linux until 3:50am)

(Ben looks at his to-do list and wonders why he is answering questions
on debian-user when he has a schedule busier than that.)
--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> <blp@gnu.org> <pfaffben@debian.org>
Senders of unsolicited commercial e-mail will receive free 32MB core files!