Re: default Debian smail-fetchmail

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Cullen wrote:

> However, I made a .fetchmailrc file which was supposed to poll for
> mail and it worked.  I was looking for some kind of fetchmail log file but
> found this file:  /var/log/smail/logfile
>
> which contained information about the mail I had succesfully downloaded.
> Does this mean that fetchmail is merely an interface to smail and that
> smail actually grabbed the messages?

Nop. Upon receiving the mail, fetchmail passes it to the local smail or
sendmail (whichever is answering to port 25) to do the deliver to local
recipes. This is to allow the normal mail deliver features, so such
features as ~/.forward file work, and let you filter your mail with
procmail or another program.

> My fetchmail command line to use my new rc file was
> fetchmail -f .fetchmailrc
>
> BTW: one of the options in my .fetchmailrc was "keep" which let me
> leave the mail on the server but on successive fetchmail commands it
> downloaded the same messages again. I suppose there must be some way of
> telling it not to grab mail that has already been downloaded.

Yes, but it's the default behaivor of fetchmail, for that I presume that,
where you put the keep option, there is a fetchall option too, don't put
that option, and then already fetched mail will be ignored.

See you
Roberto Ruiz