default Debian smail-fetchmail

A question about the initial smail configuration for Debian 1.3

I have never setup mail with any Linux dist before so I'm trying to
work out what happens whenever.

I was going to try to setup sendmail  with fetchmail to get POP mail
but the default installation setup smail which is supposed to be easier.

However, I made a .fetchmailrc file which was supposed to poll for
mail and it worked.  I was looking for some kind of fetchmail log file but
found this file:  /var/log/smail/logfile

which contained information about the mail I had succesfully
downloaded.   Does this mean that fetchmail is merely an interface to smail and
that smail actually grabbed the messages?

My fetchmail command line to use my new rc file was
fetchmail -f .fetchmailrc

BTW: one of the options in my .fetchmailrc was "keep" which let me
leave the mail on the server but on successive fetchmail commands it
downloaded the same messages again. I suppose there must be some way of
telling it not to grab mail that has already been downloaded.