RE: Backup?!

On 28-Oct-97 Johann Spies wrote:
>Can somebody please help me with my backup problems.
>
>I installed an Iomega Ditto 2GB drive with a Ditto Dash controller card
>and I have ftape 3.04-beta-5 working satisfactorily and completing the
>recommended tests successfully.
>
>When I discovered Taper, I thought that my problems were solved, but just
>until I tried to verify the backups.  The documentation says that Taper
>was not designed to handle more than 30 000 files.  I have more than 44
>000 to backup.  When I verify the backups all sorts of strange things
>happen ranging from crc errors to Taper asking me for the second tape
>after it has done just about a quarter of the archive and there is
>nothing on a second tape.  At one stage I had a lot of segmentation faults
>and I had to reset my computer.
>
>I cannot get Tob to use the tape with afio. I even reinstalled tob after
>removing all my old configuration files which I used when I did backups to
>a second hard drive.  The tob error message reads :

I havn't tried it in Debian (or even Linux) but I've heard good things about
pax. Have you tried that?  I'd probably go with cpio, myself, but then people
usually go with what they're already familiar with.  Anyway, I think I recall
seeing a Debian package for pax and I suspect that it would serve you well.