Backup?!

Can somebody please help me with my backup problems.

I installed an Iomega Ditto 2GB drive with a Ditto Dash controller card
and I have ftape 3.04-beta-5 working satisfactorily and completing the
recommended tests successfully.

When I discovered Taper, I thought that my problems were solved, but just
until I tried to verify the backups.  The documentation says that Taper
was not designed to handle more than 30 000 files.  I have more than 44
000 to backup.  When I verify the backups all sorts of strange things
happen ranging from crc errors to Taper asking me for the second tape
after it has done just about a quarter of the archive and there is
nothing on a second tape.  At one stage I had a lot of segmentation faults
and I had to reset my computer.

I cannot get Tob to use the tape with afio. I even reinstalled tob after
removing all my old configuration files which I used when I did backups to
a second hard drive.  The tob error message reads :

afio: "/dev/fape": Invalid argument.

When I try do use afio like this:

	find /directory/ | afio -ovZ /dev/ftape

it results in the same error message.

Tob works when configured to use tar without compression.  As soon as I
try to use the -z option with tar.

I do not know what to do next.  Do I have to backups on the level of using
tar or cpio?  Or is there another solution?

"tar -czvf /dev/ftape *"  does not work but
"tar -cvf /dev/ftape *" works.

Thanks for the friendly help in the past.

Johann.
Johann Spies
jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za

Windsorlaan 19