Re: help needed installing hamm

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Otavio Exel wrote:

> I've tried to update from a fresh install of bo to hamm but couldn't;
> as I'd like very mutch to experiment with hamm & 2.0.30 now I decided
> to try a fresh install of hamm; how do I do that? the set of disks I
> can see in ftp.debian.org/debian/hamm/../disks-i386 are bo based!

Humm, maybe you can upgrade to hamm and then build your own set with
boot-floppies.deb.. Oh, no that isn't what you want I think :-)

> I tried to follow the libc5-libc6-HOWTO but failed on the second step:
> 'dpkg -i ldso_???' worked fine but 'dpkg -i libc6_???' failed due to a
> conflict with libc5; am I missing something obvious? is there an other
> HOWTO on this subject?

You have to install the libc5 from hamm first.

Here's what I did, it worked fine for me.

get ( from hamm ):

  libc5
  ldso
  libc6
  ncurses3.0
  ncurses3.4
  libreadline2
  libreadlineg2
  bash
  dpkg
  dpkg-dev
  dpkg-ftp
  perl

Before installing any of these, start dselect and purge everything with
"-dev" in the package name, "wg15-locale" and "libpthread*".
Now install the packages listed above in that order with dpkg -i.

When you have successfully done that, use dselect to do the rest of the
upgrading. You must set it to look for packages in:

  dists/unstable/main dists/unstable/non-free dists/unstable/contrib

BTW, I found that doing a "reboot" after upgrading can give problems,
because init seems to lose its sense of runlevel. If you "sync" "umount
-a" "sync" "reboot" then you should be fine.

Good luck,

Joost