Re: is the Creative Labs AWE64 GOLD Soundcard supported?

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Nicola Bernardelli wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Nicola Bernardelli wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Nicola Bernardelli wrote:
> >
> > >      As you suggested (THANK YOU), Marcus, I got 0.4.2c and it correctly
> > > detects size of memory on soundcard:
> > >
> > > AWE32-0.4.2c (RAM4096k)
> > >

> > I tried installing it on top of the AWE support coming with kernel
> > 2.1.55... it works! (So far I tried with pnp handled by isapnp and not by
> > the kernel, but will try that too.)
>

> PNP handled by the kernel doesn't work. Anyway redoing it with isapnp
> succeeds, not that anything is stuck unreacheable.
>
> I've just ftp'ed and applied the small :-) patch files bringing from
> 2.1.55 to 2.1.59, pub/Linux/kernel/v2.1/patch-2.1.5[6-9].gz on a mirror
> of sunsite.unc.edu, less than 200k total. Good that I didn't rm that big
> linux-2.1.55.tar.gz! _Tomorrow_ I will configure 2.1.59, build and test
> PNP and use 2.1.59 to continue looking at SLab.

As with 2.1.55, 2.1.59 PNP handling does not initialize properly the AWE64
Gold, nothing works, not only awe synth but also /dev/audio. Again,
running isapnp both during boot or after boot_with_kernel_PNP_"mis-handle"
results in anything working fine. Anyway I recompiled 2.1.59 without PNP
(is it possible that the two zImage files have the same _identical_
size?!). I installed the 0.4.2c awe driver on top of 2.1.59, of course.

Before reporting to the kernel mailing list the PNP problem I'll look for
docs on PNP handling done by the kernel, maybe some config file is needed
as well...? I read _nothing_ on the matter as that wasn't my main goal.
(I could also try putting an #error directive in some PNP .c file and see
whether that goes compiled or not.)

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Nicola Bernardelli wrote:

>     BTW2: I am just testing 2.0.30 last rebuild, I had to see some
>     OSS/xmixer relations, and while writing this message I was also
>     zcatting a 2552707 bytes .gz file to less -i doing a pattern search in
>     it... and suddenly this error line started to appear 6-7 times per
>     second on any console I went to look at: "Unable to load interpreter".
>     Typing ctrl-c where the zcat ... | less -i processes had been started
>     allowed recover, and I'm finishing this message and going to send
>     it without rebooting (but good that you suggested to switch back my
>     default to 2.0.29 as the latest stable kernel).

2.1.59 has that "problem" too, 2.0.29 too... it is just "out of memory"
(I recently reduced swap partition from 33Mb to 8Mb as it nearly never
worked - 32 Mb ram BTW - and when it worked it was 2-3 megs and I needed
to collect disk space), better run zgrep on that high-compression-ratio
.gz file or almost :-) not load at the same time the debian-user mail
folder (currently it is very big and is soon going to become another
gzipped month-or-little-more debian-upTo97mmdd.gz file).

Ah, about that cheap MIDI (possibly mute) keyboard, I saw that
shawn.fumo@the-spa.com was talking about it too, he was looking for midi
software packages and mainly for software synthesis.