Re: cdwrite trouble: SENSE_ERROR

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Kirk Hilliard wrote:

> I do seem to have a reliability issue with some fairly cheap green on
> gold CDRs.  (US$4 ea @ qty 100 with a black label thermally printed on
> them by a local company -- supposed to be Sony CDRs, but they were
> totally blank before being printed).  The cdrom drives on a couple of
> our UNIX boxes can't seem to reliably mount them if they are written
> at 4X, but (so far, at least) they seem to be OK if written at 1X or
> 2X.  Does write speed affect the quality of the CDR?

Well, AFAIK some CDR are marked "all-speed". Those are probably a better
quality and the suffer less problems if the writer speed is high and/or
the difference in speed between the device that wrote them and the device
that reads them is relatively big.

> Also, are gold on gold CDRs supposed to be better?  I found what I
> think is a pretty good deal on some HP C4432A gold on gold CDRs at
> CompUSA -- qty 25 for US$70 minus US$20 rebate (limit two on the
> rebate).

Buy a brand name. I usualy buy Philips "rainbow" CDR's, but other named
brands like 3M are probably ok too (I don't want my email address to
suggest any prejudice ;-) .) I'm not so very sure about the quality of
noname CDR's, but then again your needs for quality may also vary.

The price is nice but not really spectacular.

Joost