Re: problem with leafnode and gnus

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
> The files in /var/spool/news/interesting.groups are the groups that will be
> downloaded next time fetch runs.

That's strictly correct, but let me expand on it a little.

When fetch sees e.g. interesting.groups/comp.os.linux.advocacy, it
reads all new articles in comp.os.linux.advocacy, and creates
directories for the groups those new postings are cross-posted to.

Fetch does this so that if you decide to follow a cross-posted thread
into another group, you won't have to reread the articles you've read
already.

These extra directories do not add up to much compared to the space
taken by the never-read articles you're most likely pulling in: while
du will tell you there's lots of files in the extra directories, every
one of them is hard-linked to a group directory you don't want to be
without.

> Delete files there if you don't want these newsgroups.

Or just stop reading the newsgroups, and leafnode will eventually
delete the files itself.  Takes a week or so.

--Arnt