Re: problem with leafnode and gnus

Gustaf Erikson hat gesagt: // Gustaf Erikson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm having trouble setting up leafnode to read news.
>
> I installed leafnode w/o problems, followed the configuration
> described in the README and README.debian files, as well as an article
> in Linux Gazette #9. This article told me to log into my news server,
> run 'fetch' as root, start a news reader, subscribe to interesting
> groups, run fetch again. This should do it, according to the article.
>
> However, after subscribing to c.o.l.misc and c.o.l.advocacy with gnus,
> I run fetch. It takes a long time. I check /var/spool/news, and see
> lots of directories for alt, gnu, soc, and uk.

That's "a feature", I think. A lot of messages get crosspostet to groups
you don't have subscribed and you are not interested in. I even have
/var/spool/news/microsoft/...  :(

> I don't want this. I
> abort. When I try to find something in the groups to which I've
> subscribed -- bubkis, nada, The Big Empty. Gnus cannot even open the
> groups. Netscape returns a pane with "syntax error".
>
> Any ideas?

leafnode is confused about which messages it has received and
where to put them. I had the same problem when I disrupted a "fetch".

Sureley it is not the best solution, but:
You could reinstall leafnode (sounds like MS Windows, but...), run fetch
again, "fetch -v -v" to be more verbose, and don't interrupt it!

Try seting the max number of messages to fetch to something lower than
the default 1000. For testing 50 should be enough. (In /etc/leafnode.conf )
--

				     Yours,
				Frank Barknecht