Re: problem with leafnode and gnus

On Oct 16, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote
> Adrian Bridgett <adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com>
> > I now use inn and newsx [ ... ]
>
> INN uses the same technique that you dislike, too - lots of hardlinks
> everywhere.  May be ugly, but it's about the only way to store USENET
> using a Unix-like file system.

The thing I disliked about leafnode was the thousands of directories that
it made. You can get rid of these by altering actsync.ctl so that the
groups are never made. For instance I kill off all the microsoft groups
:-) and those in languages a don't understand. I then setup newsx to only
download those newsgroups that I'm, interested in.

The big catch is that you have to edit some files to alter which
newsgroups you download and I also never seem to see which new groups are
created.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Artificial intelligence - the
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | art of making computers act
PGP key available on public key servers  | like those in the movies