Re: CDR drive replacement.

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> I have used Philips CDRs exclusively and have not been satisfied. For the
> usual reasons, I am replacing my current CDR and want something that will
> last a while. I can get an "HP SureStore CD-Writer 6020" for a
> "reasonable" price. I am curious if anyone has had any first hand
> experience with this device? Is it encouraging? I would consider other
> options if they fall in the catagory of "cheap" (cost effective) and
> dependable, while at the same time available quickly through mail order
> using a credit card.

I have the HP SureStore 6020i drive.  As its model number suggests, it
is 6x read, 2x write.

For writing, I use the cdrecord program.  It works flawlessly, even
writing multi-session CDs and it even works from a master on an IDE
drive.

cwrite also works with this drive, BUT...  it won't do multisession,
and it is much, much more system-intensive than cdrecord is.  cdwrite
barely works with an IDE drive at 1x record speed; cdrecord easily
works with my IDE drive at 2x record speed.

For reading, you need to do a tad bit more up-front.  It will read
normal CDs without any problem.  However, you must patch the kernel to
get the drive to read multi-session CDs.  Once the kernel is so
patched, however, it is able to read multi-session CDs without any
difficulty at all.  (Actually, this patch is included in 2.1.x and
maybe even in 2.0.30 but I know it isn't in 2.0.29.)

I have had good luck with this drive with all sorts of various media.
I have not experienced any problems with data loss on any media, as
sometimes occurs with CDR drives.  I have used both the genuine HP
media and the cheap Pioneer media without difficulty.

--
John Goerzen          | Running Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for