Re: From Slackware to Debian

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997 tfoong@patrick.com.au wrote:

> As I have had some experience with slackware please all you
> ex slackers think what were your experience when switching to
> debian.
>
> * What are the major differences between Slackware
>   and Debian?

Well, besides being better.... :)

Debian's packaging system is more granular, allowing you better control
over what packages you want to install.  The packages also generally come
with a better default configuration than slackware, making administration
easier.  Debian packages are also more intelligent on upgrades, allowing
you to upgrade bits and pieces of your system (or the whole system)
without rebooting or reinstalling.

> * I have noticed that there is a difference between the
>   debian boot up and the slackware bootup files. Is there
>   any good documentation on this It looks like it is SysV
>   style how close is it to SVR4 what is the differences ie
>   can I read up on SVR4 init and know all about the debian
>   init?.

The working of the SysV init scripts we use is described in
/etc/init.d/README

> * This one has got me worried. I have heard that there is
>   a one group per user. I am sure this does not effect a
>   normal user but I would still like to know what exactly it
>   means as I am interested in writing some edi messaging
>   software and would like to really understand all the
>   implications of this scheme of setting up rights. Is there
>   some good reference on how this all works.

Debian can be configured to install all users into a single group, or to
install one group per user.  The advantage of the second configuration
(which RedHat also uses) is that users can set their umask to 002 and have
files group writable, which when put in directorys set g+s for a project
group, allow users to share files in groups with less effort and potential
for error.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/