From Slackware to Debian

Hello ALL,

I have just joined this list.   Hello to all you debian people.

I have just received my debian 1.3.1 CD and have had my
first try at installing it. ( Well it failled   sob .. more on that later )

I have been running Slackware for several years now. However
I am no expert.  I have several questions about debian. I asked
the question on the linux.misc news groups but they said I should
ask here I hope some helpful souls can assist me.

The questions are as follows.

As I have had some experience with slackware please all you
ex slackers think what were your experience when switching to
debian.

* What are the major differences between Slackware
  and Debian?
* I have noticed that there is a difference between the
  debian boot up and the slackware bootup files. Is there
  any good documentation on this It looks like it is SysV
  style how close is it to SVR4 what is the differences ie
  can I read up on SVR4 init and know all about the debian
  init?.
* This one has got me worried. I have heard that there is
  a one group per user. I am sure this does not effect a
  normal user but I would still like to know what exactly it
  means as I am interested in writing some edi messaging
  software and would like to really understand all the
  implications of this scheme of setting up rights. Is there
  some good reference on how this all works.

My install Problems.  For all those loong suffering people
that are able to help me I would really appreciate your
assistance with my install problems.

Well IT DONT WORK!!

Well actually it works but I have only got the basic system
about 18MB used when I do a "df"

Let me tell you about my system.
  - 486DX 80
  -  16MB ram.
  -  820 MB harddisk,
  -  VGA on a mono screen.
  -  cyclom 8port board(Great thing).
  -  1.44 floppy disk drive
  -  NE2000 compatible network card.
  NOTE : no CD ROM

The harddisk is partitioned this way
  - I have a Dos and Win3.1 on a 250 MB partition
  - 32 Mb Swap partition
  - 500+ for Linux

How I installed it -
* I have a Win NT box which has a CDROM.
* I copied most of  the "bo" directories on to the Dos
  Partition using Win for Workgroup and sharing a
  directoy so that I can see it from my NT box.
* I couldnt copy all the debian distribution because I did
  not have enough space.  250MB is not enough to hold
  all of the debian distribution.
* I left out the X and the Ham radio stuff. I got all the
   -  base
   - develop
   - net and most of the others
   - I did NOT have the packages.gz file.
* I copied the boot directory to the dos machine
  and ran rebooted from there.

The Install seemed to run OK.  I thought I selected all
the required packages.  (it seemed it be able to pick up all
the available packages even when I did not have package.gz)
I thought it would install the  the packages with a "*" character
( in dselect).
However when I rebooted it only had 18MB installed and
no "man" no "less" no nothing.

I tried running dselect again and zippo nada nothing gets installed.
I must be missing something simple....

** Another question is with the NE2000 install.
I used to give the command "ether0=0,0x300,eth0" to lilo
( or something else ? cant remember)  but the debian install
didnt like that incantation. Instead i put in "io=0x300" that seemed
to work BUT when I rebooted (after the install) it locks up
at boot up.( Just afetr it says its going into multiuser mode and
there is a "ne" on the first column of the next line). I can get it to
continue by hitting CTRL-C.

How can I get the "ether=...." incantation inserted in the right place?
Where is the right place?

** An another problem is that once I Installed Linux I could not
  my DOS partition anymore. The install routine did not give me
  the option to specify my other DOS partition to boot.  There are
  several lilo things around but it just seems to make thing worst

So now I have rebooted with a dos pc and used FDISK to set
my DOS partition as active so that i can use the box and get
ready for another install.

SO what I would appreciate is some hits and clues so that I
can get a good second install.

Thanks in advance.

I was also planning to put several partitions on the hardisk
there was some documentation with some suggested
partition sizes for a 1.6 gig hardisk.

I think it was
     50 MB swap
     30 MB root
     40 MB var
     450MB usr
     1000MB home

I was thinking that I should have something similar
like this
     32 MB swap
     25 MB root       << is this a problem ?
     30 MB var        << is this a problem ?
     300 MB usr      << Dont think this is a problem is it ? do I need 450?
     The rest for Home

Any suggestions? is it a bad idea reducing root & boot  to 25MB
and /var to 30MB what about 300 MB for /usr?

Again thanks for any responses

Tze weng Foong

tzeweng@ozemail.com.au