Can't boot Linux - could be VESA SCSI driver

wish to use Debian Linux 1.3 on my Intel 486 machine and I am unable to boot.

I am unclear on where to go for help in booting debian linux.  I have created a boot disc from the raw image resc1440.bin.  I have attempted to boot many times always with the same result.

I assume mailing to this list is my best chance to find a lead on where to even look to find the answer  I've already looked through the FAQ and hardware Howto.

I suspect the problem is related to the fact I have an adaptec 2840VL SCSI controller for my hard drive (as well as CD-ROM). The help screens yeild some terse and cryptic hints at what I might need to do.  A list of boot parameters displayed when hitting F5 implies that Adaptec 284x SCSI controllers are supported but linux needs a boot parameter based on the template "aic7xxx=[disable reset]"  Idon't know what this means.  Pouring through the documenation for the SCSI controller I see that it contains an AIC7770 chip, so perhaps I type the
following at the "boot:" prompt:
linux aic7770=1
to disable reset (I don't know what that does) or
linux aic7770=0
to not disable reset
Neither way works and the result is the same as the default boot (just hitting enter)
I get an error message "kernel cannot handle dereferenced NULL pointer" and
the system hangs after displaying a dump of the processor registers.

I'm honestly not even clear if the SCSI controller is my problem.

I am grateful for any help,

Thank You
-Chip Grandits