Re: is the Creative Labs AWE64 GOLD Soundcard supported?

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 1997 at 05:25:56PM -0200, Nicola Bernardelli wrote:
> > Ok, for you HOWTO, I have isapnp working fine now.
>
> I find it *really* odd that you have to rearrange the order of the entrys in
> the isapnp.conf. A *quick* and *dirty* hack, and I can't even think of
> including it i my HOWTO (I see lots of emails complaining about such an
> unsure statement :).
>
> I can give a hint about it (and I will do), but could you check if the PEEK
> thing from the faq works for you? Please do it for me, because the faq
> states, that the standard does not clearly specifiy if it should work
> without the PEEKS, means, that it is fully legitimate that you have to
> include the PEEKS.
>
> Please try it, thank you!

Good news to you Marcus, your POKE way works fine here with the AWE64
Gold, I tried the devices in any of the following sequences always with
success:

0 1 2
1 0 2
1 2 0
0 2 1
2 0 1
2 1 0

Each time I did these steps (staying inside /etc and after 'mount -r -t
msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/fat1' and after '/etc/init.d/nas stop'):

rmmod sound
<modify isapnp.conf-poke and save it>
isapnp isapnp.conf-poke
insmod sound
sfxload -i /mnt/fat1/sb16/sfbank/gm35revc.sf2
saytime
drvmidi /mnt/fat1/sb16/samples/awe64/*.mid

BTW, why does the sound module say what follows at each startup, when I
have the default 4megs on the soundcard? (Sure, on some readme...)

    AWE32 Sound Driver v0.3.3e (DRAM 28672k)

-----

As for the quick and dirty way I had found of just changing the order of
the LDs (0 2 1 works fine as I told, and I didn't try any other), it was a
mistake what I said of it working fine only once at boot time, in fact it
works any time you recall isapnp, just with the steps above, and the AWE
synth part always works fine: I was simply forgetting to reload the
soundfonts.

-----

I'm currently trying to build the 2.1.55 kernel, it should handle pnp and
AWE (but I may have problems here with Debian 1.2.4... so far I just had
to replace genksyms with the one from the 1.3.1 CD for the -k option to be
accepted).

     Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>