Re: is the Creative Labs AWE64 GOLD Soundcard supported?

On Sat, Oct 11, 1997 at 10:14:40PM -0200, Nicola Bernardelli wrote:

> BTW, why does the sound module say what follows at each startup, when I
> have the default 4megs on the soundcard? (Sure, on some readme...)
>
>     AWE32 Sound Driver v0.3.3e (DRAM 28672k)

Mmmh. Because it can't detect your soundcard correctly :)

>From /usr/src/INSTALL.awe:

* Manual Installation on USSLite-3.5.4c / OSS-Free-3.7 with Linux 2.[01].x

  - Copy awe_wave.c, awe_hw.h, awe_version.h, and awe_config.h onto
    /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/lowlevel.
    Also, copy awe_voice.h on /usr/src/linux/include/linux.

  - Apply a patch on linux source directory, /usr/src/linux.
    This modifies Makefile, Config.tmpl and init.c on lowlevel directory,
    and add a help file for configuration,
      /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help

  - If your card can't be detected automatically, edit awe_config.h and
    supply memory size and base address for your machine.

  - Configure and make the kernel and modules as usual.

Note the third remark. I think you have to edit awe_config.h in the
following way:

/*----------------------------------------------------------------
 * AWE32 card configuration:
 * uncomment the following lines only when auto detection doesn't
 * work properly on your machine.
 *----------------------------------------------------------------*/

/*#define AWE_DEFAULT_BASE_ADDR 0x620*/ /* base port address */
/*#define AWE_DEFAULT_MEM_SIZE  512*/   /* kbytes */

you should change to
#define AWE_DEFAULT_BASE_ADDR 0x620 /* base port address */
#define AWE_DEFAULT_MEM_SIZE  4096   /* kbytes */

Then it should work.

before you do it, could you test what happens if you load a lot of samples
with sfxload (more than four meg)? You can load the same big samples in
different banks with:

sfxload -b1 name
sfxload -b2 name

I would be interested in the error message (if any).

Thank you,
Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."