Re: is the Creative Labs AWE64 GOLD Soundcard supported?

Excuse me Torsten, my mail to you should have gone to the list also,
here is what I recall:

On Wed, Oct 08, 1997 at 11:38:15AM +0200, Torsten Hilbrich wrote:
> Lawrence <ychim@ForeverMail.com> writes:
>
> > > No. I start the kernel module via /etc/modules. Just put "sound"
> > > in a line for its own.
> >
> > my /etc/modules is 'auto', what do you think?  can I have 'auto' and
> > 'sound' in the file?
>
> I don't think so.  But with auto setting your sound module will be
> automatically loaded -- if configured correctly.

It is indeed possible. "auto" just launches kerneld, "sound" just installs
the sound module, so that kerneld does not remove it automatically. This is
a good idea if you have a post-install that takes a long time (e.g. loading
sound font banks (up to 8MB!) or setting the mixer.

> Edit the file /etc/conf.modules and check if the following line is
> there:
>
>         alias block-major-14 sound

Can someone explains me the difference to the default "alias char-major-14
sound", as modprobe -c tells me? /dev/audio shows me a (c) device.

Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."
Marcus Brinkmann