Re: is the Creative Labs AWE64 GOLD Soundcard supported?

On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Paul Miller wrote:

> How well/is the AWE64 GOLD Sound card supported under Linux?  ..or will it
> act/function like the SB16?

It will act like a SB16 yes, but this is nothing wonderful, as the SB16 is
quite pathetic.  xmix is the only program I've run into with a line select
(which you need since the SB 16 has no input mixer).

What you want is awedrv, which is available as a debian source package.
Trouble is, it won't compile as a module, which I think means you have to
use initrd to run isapnp before it will work.  I've read the initrd stuff,
but havn't gotten around to trying it yet.  Am I right in my understanding
that you just need to copy over a rescue disk, isapnp, and possible bash
(to write initrc with) into the initrd environment?  Anyone done this?

The awedrv does not support all the SB 64 capabilities, but from what I
understand the extra channels are provided by software anyway.