Re: Mounting of removable media - security problem ?

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Wojtek Zabolotny wrote:

>  	Thanks !
>  It really works, however there is another small problem. I'm maintaining
> two debian systems, and "/etc/login.defs" exists only in one of them (the
> one with installed shadow passwords).
>  Is the existence of /etc/login.defs associated with shadow passwords
> system?
>  How to install shadow passwords on "living" debian linux?

I don't know for sure if login.defs is used only when you use shadow
passwords. It could also depend on the version of login. You can turn on
shadow passwords with:

# shadowconfig on

This should do the trick. You might want to restart xdm if you use it. I
don't know if /etc/init.d/xdm is updated automatically. For shadow
passwords, it should start xdm-shadow instead of xdm. There is no harm in
using xdm-shadow on a non-shadow password system.

Remco
--
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam up my clothes."