Debian Netatalk and Ethernet cards

I happily use netatalk on 3 debian machines using ethernet cards which all
use the wd driver module.  Today I go to set it up on a DEC XLe6180 which
has a builtin Intel EtherExpress 100 card in it.  The IP drivers work
great at both 10 and 100 Mbps.  However Netatalk just isn't happy, it
can't see the appletalk network out there (well it kind-of worked once out
of many tries---picked an invalid net number and could aecho some other
machines...).

I didn't think it was relevant which ethernet driver I was using, but
eventually, after comparing with the other machines I have, it all pointed
to the ethernet card and driver being the culprit!  Sure enough someone
tells me that appletalk won't go on any Intel cards, is this true?  If so,
are there any other cards people know of that I should stare clear of to?
I'm installing this server for lots of people with Macs to share files
with...

Richard Shepherd (richards@waikato.ac.nz)
Phone: 07-838-4764